Restored 1968 Heathkit "Starmaker" TA-16 25 watt solid state amplifier
- Purchased from Detroit Craigslist for $70.
- Original tolex in good condition.
- Grill cloth "coffee stains" cleaned by removing grill cloth and using bleach spray with hot shower water.
- Missing handle replaced with a more rugged type than original.
- Replaced all the electrolytic caps. ($20)
- New 2A circuit breaker from Weber VST. ($1.50)
- Normal channel noise solved by replacing Q1 (2N3391) with a 2N5088. ( $0.10)
- Missing LDR replaced with photo resistor and 6 volt 25 mA lamp unit made from Radio Shack parts. ($5)
- Original reverb tank with failed transducer replaced with MOD P-RMOD-4FB3A1B from AES. ($18)
- 2 - 25 W 20 oz. magnet Weber 12S Ceramic Signature Series speakers ($35 - eBay used)
- Total restoration cost approximately - $150 (including amp)
The Heathkit TA-27 schematic is the same as the TA-16 minus the Normal channel. The power amp 1 ohm 2Ws are changed to 3.3 ohm 2Ws. Same PCB with silk screen removed for unpopulated parts. Rated at 20 watts (5 watts less than the TA-16).